October is here, and next week will be Fire Prevention Week. Check out the tips from and photos of our local volunteer firefighters in the October 5th issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald. You’ll also be able to:
- read profiles of four of the federal election candidates running in our riding;
- find out the results of the annual Fall Fair and Trade Show;
- find out a little about co-operatives as Delta Co-op and Unity Credit Union will soon be celebrating Co-op Week; and
- learn about a fun new initiative for kids at Unity Public School.
The phone on the table shows the size of this potato, on display at the Unity Agricultural Society’s annual Fall Fair and Trade Show, Sept. 25 and 26:
A first prize Jack-o-Lantern, made by nine-year-old Shawn Dyck:
Nina Burnell’s award winning quilt:
Close-up detail on a first-place quilt made by Edna Jeffrey of Marsden:
Halloween is a day when people can unwind and have a blast, dress up and be spooky; but always remember to be safe while enjoying the night!
Here are some trick or treating safety tips from the RCMP website, sent along by Sgt. Rusk.
When you decide to go out trick or treating :
- Collect candy in a group. Don’t trick or treat alone.
- Bring a flashlight; some areas might not have any street lights.
- Use make up instead of wearing a mask; that way your sightline is not blocked. If you do go with a mask, cut the eye holes a little bit bigger.
- Make sure that your costume props cannot be used as weapons.
- Bring a cell phone in case of an emergency.
- Be careful around people you don’t know. While some people may really get into the Halloween spirit and want to scare everyone, others may have more worrisome intentions.
- Don’t eat any unpackaged candy.
- Don’t smash pumpkins and egg houses. While it may seem like harmless fun, this is vandalism that can lead to serious consequences.
- Don’t take any chances by getting into a car with someone you don’t know.
Unity RCMP want to wish all of their communities a safe and happy Halloween.
From: Sgt. Grant A. RUSK, NCO i/c Unity/ Wilkie/ Macklin RCMP Detachment