The Unity Wilkie Press-Herald is your best source for local news, information about local people and advertising about local events. Check out the February 3rd issue for:
- a story and photos on local champions in the show ring;
- information about Tramping Lake’s upcoming centennial celebrations;
- a profile on your local school trustee; and
- some local history, featuring the Unity Wagon Wheel Square Dance Club.
An introduction to a new business in town, the latest report on the Midget AA Lazers, details from the RCMP on the calls they have been handling in town and an update on Unity’s Unite for a Miracle fundraisers are all also within the pages of your local paper.
Lots of Christmas info, most photos and stories of past events and ads for upcoming items, in tomorrow’s Unity Wilkie Press-Herald. Be sure to check it out for:
- photos from Winter Wonderland events and Santa’s visit last Saturday;
- a public health advisory on flu and whooping cough;
- details on a world UFE gold medal for a Unity resident; and
- details on a provincial gold medal for a Unity music student.
You will also find details on the Warriors football awards and local lottery winners along with the usual fare of hockey reports, RCMP report, Blast from the Past and some humour from Kaare Askildt.
The first September issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald reflects the upcoming local elections as all RMS, villages and towns are calling for nominations for councillors, reeves and mayors. Check out the paper for the qualifications needed to run for council, along with:
- an article on theft and vandalism at the Unity museum;
- local winners in the recent STARS lottery draws;
- a look forward at the UCHS Warriors’ 2016 football season; and
- as summer draws to an end, a nostalgic look at lake life on the editorial page.
Meanwhile, farmers are grateful for warm, dry weather so they can forge ahead with getting the crops out of the fields and into the bins. The dark clouds in this photo, taken August 28, disappeared overnight and the next day was bright and sunny with combines in operation in many fields.
Because of the Canada Day holiday, the July 1 Unity Wilkie Press-Herald can not be distributed until Monday, July 4. Check it out for:
- an article on break-ins at the Unity swimming pool;
- a Unity girl performs at Carnegie Hall in New York;
- an introduction to the Unity girls’ U12 team hosting provincials July 8, 9 and 10; and
- a report on a Unity shopping survey.
And don’t forget to check out your local newspaper ads for vehicles, farm auctions, homes, jobs, events and special sales at businesses in town!
There will be no Unity Wilkie Press-Herald newspaper on Monday, June 6. The Press-Herald is moving to a Friday publication date and the next issue will be out on Friday, June 10.
For those you haven’t yet heard, next week’s paper, May 30, will be the last Monday issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald. There will be a gap as the Press-Herald switches over to a Friday publication date, with the following paper not coming out until Friday, June 10.
In next week’s paper, along with all the details, times and places for Unity Western Days activities (including a map of the parade route), be sure to check out:
- introductions to this year’s Rodeo Queen candidates;
- a write-up and photos from St. Peter’s dessert theatre performances;
- Unity product Alex Pernitsky plays in the RBC Cup finals; and
- for something a little different, the Top 10 features new correspondent Louise Robson’s favourite foods in Italy.
The editorial page has a guest editorial on the Fort Mac fire and evacuations while the ads feature many upcoming local events, before and after Western Days.
Below, action at the 2015 Unity Western Days rodeo:
Unity Music Festival results and a multitude of other local stories in next week’s Unity Wilkie Press-Herald. As well as the music festival results, and some photos, check out:
- a story on and photos of Herbie, the therapy dog;
- an update on progress at Eighth Avenue Estates, the 24-unit building going up in the northwest corner of town;
- a preview of the upcoming ball season; and
- UCHS hands out ACTIVATE! awards.
The Top 10 has some camping preparation tips for you, and of course we have the editorial page and RCMP report as well. Local news for local readers – check it out!
Be sure to pick up your copy of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald next week so you don’t miss any of the following stories:
- a recap of Unity’s new rec director’s first year;
- Unity Credit Union’s AGM forecasts a positive outlook for this locally owned financial institution;
- a summary of another “banner” year for Unity Minor Hockey; and
- a year-end report on the accomplishments of skaters in the Unity Skating Club;
and lots more, including the latest museum and RCMP reports.
REMEMBER – the cover price of the Press-Herald goes up this week to $1.25 so you may want to consider subscribing as an annual subscription works out to less than .50 cents an issue!
Check out the December 7th issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald for all your upcoming Christmas events and store specials, along with:
- full coverage of the Canadiens alumni game in Unity November 27;
- an article outlining many of the December events in Unity, Wilkie, Luseland and other areas, some events past and some yet to come;
- tips on winterizing your vehicle; and
- the latest hockey and RCMP reports.
And remember, if you have a story about a special “first” Christmas, whatever sort of “first” Christmas it was – first time away from home, first Christmas with grandchildren, first Christmas without a loved one, first Christmas you can remember – please send in your story to firstname.lastname@example.org! Thank you!