The Macklin RCMP Detachment has responded to numerous complaints of break and enters and property theft in the community over the last few weeks. Thieves are targeting unlocked vehicles, storage lots/units and travel trailers.
As a reminder to residents there are several things that you can do to deter thieves from targeting your vehicles/trailers/storage units:
- Ensure firearms are not left in your vehicles/trailers or storage units;
- Ensure any firearms are stored securely and locked where required by law;
- Make sure serial numbers for firearms or big items such as power tools or electronics are documented;
- Make sure you have a stronger than average lock on doors to trailers or storage units;
- Don’t leave valuables like wallets, keys, personal identification, spare change in your vehicle;
- Avoid parking your vehicles in dark areas near trees or fences where your view is obstructed;
- If you have one, park your vehicle in the garage; and
- If you have the means, set up video surveillance of some sort.
Make it as difficult and time consuming as possible for a thief to break into or steal your property. This may not stop the crime from occurring, however thieves usually pick easy targets.
Persons with information about crimes being committed are urged to call the Unity RCMP detachment at 306-228-6300; the Wilkie RCMP at 306-843-3480; or the Macklin RCMP at 306-753-2171. If you wish to remain anonymous, you may also call Saskatchewan Crime Stoppers at1-800-222-8477, or *8477 on the SaskTel Mobility Network. Crime Stoppers will pay up to $2,000 for information which leads to the arrest of person(s) responsible for any serious crime. Crime Stoppers is anonymous and does not subscribe to call display, nor are your calls traced or recorded.
You can also submit a tip online at www.saskcrimestoppers.com.